Monday, September 10, 2012

Up to Dalton (and Stuzzi!) with Sally

Monday - September 10, 2012

Monday after chemo means it's time for my post-chemo Neulasta shot.  Sally is doing us a big favor and giving Joe a terrific break by driving me up to Richmond!  The Carter women come through again!  Of course, the constant concern in visiting Dalton is that "they will need to hang a bag" and then the entire day is gone, Joseph misses a full day at work, and time evaporates ....  Sally is undercutting that hovering stress.

Truth be told, I am feeling a little "shaky" this morning in terms of rapid pulse and enervated large muscle function.  I am drinking copious amounts of water and crossing my fingers that everything checks out well.  It is a crisp, clear autumn day. Wouldn't it be a shame to miss it in Dalton Clinic?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

[Note:  Andy Murray's win over Novak Djokovic is the reason for the delay in updating today's post.  Joe and I enjoyed some Flushing tennis action that extended and thrilled late into the evening!]

Well, Sally's eyes did indeed pop a bit at the sight of the crushingly full and more-than-a-little-bit raw view of illness on display at VCU's Dalton clinic.  Folks are very, very, very ill.  Face masks are the norm.  Wheelchairs are common.  Today a stretcher and ambulance personnel were on hand.  So many medical personnel are actively and compassionately devoted to the physical well-being and emotional comfort of the many, many patients.  At this point, I am not sure that I am exactly inured to the sights, sounds, and rhythms of Dalton but seeing it through a newcomer's eyes brings me smack back to May when we first encountered the volume and depths of the cancer battles that take place in that clinic ... every ... single ... day.  And yes, it can scare the pants off me to see how sick so many individuals truly are.  VCU serves a tremendous need.  I feel remarkably healthy - still!

Certified authentic  :)
Surprise today!  No bloodwork?  No labs?  Excuse me?  I kept waiting for an error to be realized and for one of my RNs to tell me that our ticking timetable would be reset back to milestone #1 of the four part Dalton routine JUST when we thought we were free to leave:  I could easily imagine someone saying "Sorry, we actually NEED blood tests so can you please go back to the labs?"  Ooohhh, I was worried.  I have ALWAYS had blood drawn.  Sometimes up on the inpatient floors, they draw my blood multiple times in a day!  How / why was I not having bloodwork?

As it was, 2.5 hours after registering and sitting and waiting and waiting and waiting, I got my 45 seconds of time necessary for the Neulasta shot and then Sally and I headed to lunch at Stuzzi!  Absolutely delightful and delicious and a rich reward for another Dalton outing!

No comments: