Friday, September 14, 2012

Solo Dalton Trip #1

Friday - September 14, 2012

Vincristine must be infused through my port
Scheduling issues?  An assertion of independence?  A sense of adventure?  Somehow, circumstances are all coming together and, for the first time since March, I am driving myself in to Dalton today for a quick (five-minute) vincristine infusion and ... labs.  It's a bit of a risk.  I surfaced some deep black bruises on my inner thigh last night (origin unknown) which may signal low platelets in addition to my certainly-low white blood count as I approach my nadir.  So if they need to hang a bag of platelets or red blood cells, I will be pre-treated with gonzo amounts of Benadryl which might knock me out.  Our plan is for me to wait out any fatigue before I hit the road.  In a gesture of confidence and positivity, I am NOT bringing a go-bag in case of hospital admission because my temperature is perfect and my pulse is better under control.  (Gosh, having written that sentence, I am going to have to bring in pajamas and toiletries.  Can't risk the gown!)  It's only a 50-minute drive to VCU but we are planning like it's a cross-country excursion. 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In the end, I forgot the go-bag but I remain optimistic.  Two and a half hours into Dalton and I have had my port accessed, managed blood return after major intervention, and finally had my blood draw through the trusty veins in my arm.  Platelets and red blood are now in the pipeline for the afternoon following incredibly low blood counts. Yup, they are hanging bags.   Ah, well .... I have made an expedition to gather food and am hopeful that my solid vitals will bolster me enough that I will NOT have to be admitted!  Here's hoping!

No comments: