Saturday, September 15, 2012

Neutropenic Precautions

Saturday - September 15, 2012

Time to rest up
Although I am all tanked up with yesterday's 2 units of platelets and 1 unit of red blood cells, I am still officially "profoundly neutropenic" and susceptible to infections.  Ah, what's a girl to do ....  As one of my wonderful RNs said, this chemo protocol "devastates blood levels."  But with time, pricey Neulasta, and the resilience of my own poor, beleaguered bone marrow, my levels will come up eventually.  While I am in this neutropenic nadir, I am steering as clear as can be of possible sources of infection and being mindful of everything I touch.  This safe, non-infectious world is much more confined than desired yet it's necessary to avoid hospitalization.  And with Megan coming home for 11 days late tonight, I do NOT want to be back in the hospital!

No comments: