Thursday, September 27, 2012

How to Combat the "Empty-House Blues"

Thursday - September 27, 2012

Countering the empty-house blues is easier when you are fully aware that your children are HAPPY in their homes, satisfied and content with their life choices, and surrounded by supportive and caring communities.  Modern (and daily) communication also helps immensely!  When Joe and I were raising the kids in Asia, a telephone call with family in the States was a rare treat.  While we exchanged letters, we were effectively disconnected from the daily rhythms and sharing of the lives of my father and other loved ones.  Now, Jonathan and Megan are in touch through multiple media, the distance between us shrinks, and the empty-house blues dissipate as messages and photos fly back and forth.  Finally, this crisp and lovely autumn morning is reminiscent of another beautiful fall day 26 years ago in Connecticut when Joe and I were married.  It's a day for appreciative reflection about my wonderful family (as well as a day for chores and a long-awaited dental visit ...).

In the Massey Cancer Center's "Healing Garden"
Yesterday's consultation with my oncologist provided some clarification and - more importantly after these few days of dogpaddling in survival rate data - a high degree of calm.  Megan and I agree that Dr. Perkins' overall vibe is very positive.  He is upbeat about my response to the Hyper CVAD protocol, the benefits of allogeneic over autologous transplant, and the real possibility of 1 of the 3 potential bone marrow donors actually coming through.  Last week's MRI was great.  It still shows some scarring / healing / activity behind my left orbit but Dr. Perkins stated that this activity will disappear with time as this area continues to repair itself.  As for upcoming hospitalizations, next week is the first of two planned high-dose methotrexate infusions targeting any lymphoma in my central nervous system and requiring 4-5 days of in-hospital treatment.  Hurrah!  I feel the map of the garden paths has been unfolded!  If a BMT comes through before the second high-dose methotrexate infusion then I will forgo that second treatment and move right into transplant mode.  One wrench in the near term:  my platelets remain very low (24) and need to come up (to 35) before I can be admitted next Tuesday.  On Monday, I return to Dalton for my pre-admission routine:  a Rituxan infusion this time but NOT intrathecal chemo - bravo for no lumbar puncture!  My Monday platelet levels will determine whether Tuesday's hospital admission is still a go!


No comments: