Monday, November 5, 2012

Waiting at Dalton ... + The Poignancy of Pumpkin Boots

Monday - November 5, 2012

The Dalton Clinic is packed this morning ... So many people in pain, fear, and grief but some smile and good cheer is always on display.  The VCU staff is amazing - connected and caring.  I have had my blood draw and my vitals and now Carolyn and I wait ... and wait ... and wait.   Hooray for iPads!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Home from Richmond!  Carolyn and I lunched at Burger Bach, picked up sundry items at Ellwood Thompson, and then came home to some very excited hounds.  Now after a dog-cuddling, sun-drenched nap, I am ready for a walk, some baking, and a relaxing evening with Carolyn.

Cheery boots that will stay in my mind
My blood work remains strong and I must confess to relief and a sense of ease when I see three-digit platelet counts.  A sense of ease and normalcy .....  Somehow today witnessed a more intense, more dire, and rawer view of cancer treatment at the clinic.  Amputations, tracheotomies, weak bodies slumped in wheelchairs, and a gentleman with profound loss of tissue and bone in his upper and lower jaws.  Yet even in the midst of this evidence of tremendous pain and loss, so much positive energy shines through.  When I remember and hold in prayer the gentleman with the severe facial surgery, I will recall his pleasure in being with his wife and their two vibrant pumpkin-booted toddler grandchildren, how he pushed the boys in the wheelchair (intended for his own use), and how he pressed on with living and loving and enjoying his day (in the Dalton clinic) with his lovely family. He looked so incredibly uncomfortable ... and yet so happy.

No comments: