Saturday, November 17, 2012

"Friday News Roundup"

... but without Diane Rehm (... an aside for my fellow NPR afficionados out there)....

Dalton Clinic was - literally - empty of patients when Jonathan and I arrived at 1:30 on a Friday afternoon!  As a result, we moved right through the Dalton dance (registration, port access, blood draw, vitals, pre-medication) and got into the treatment room very quickly.  Even the consultation with my oncologist was streamlined when he met with me in the treatment room during my Rituxan infusion.  I was very very relieved about the news of a clear MRI.  In fact, the MRI showed marked improvement in the small "not-to-be-alarmed-about" area of "healing" that has been monitored in my left cavernous sinus since July.  I have no clue why was I feeling so skittish about the MRI this time but I was certainly worked up.  Having Jonathan's company was a huge support.  In terms of my blood work, the two liver enzymes (AST and ALT) that were elevated during my last hospitalization remain high and may postpone next week's hospitalization.  "The mechanism of liver injury with methotrexate is believed to be direct toxicity;"  my kidneys are not the only organ taxed by this high-dose methotrexate regimen.  I will return to Dalton on Wednesday for more blood work to determine if my liver enzymes have declined and if my liver is recovered enough for another chemo onslaught just a few days later.

On the Hopkins front, next Friday's appointment is confirmed.  Because this news was left on the answering machine, we're unclear about whether the insurance issue was completely cleared up but I'm assuming the answer is "yes."  Why go ahead with an initial consultation if we couldn't continue on with the haplo?  Phew.  Another moment of uncertainty and frenzy - resolved.

No comments: