Monday, October 1, 2012

Platelet Predictions? It's Lucky 53 - Megan wins!

Monday - October 1, 2012

Megan suggested that we start a pool and predict my platelet level in today's blood draw.  I need my  platelets to be at 35 in order for my (11th!!) hospital admission to stay on track for tomorrow.  While Megan and I put in a 50 and a 42 respectively, Joe put forward a 33 BUT said that with my numbers moving up and a hefty dose of goodwill, my hospital admission will still go ahead.  Now that's a bet with chutzpah.  I should know by early afternoon ....

In any case, I will be getting a Rituxan infusion today but NOT having a lumbar puncture for intrathecal chemotherapy.  Because the methotrexate penetrates the central nervous system, the high level of this week's methotrexate infusion makes the intrathecal treatment redundant and unnecessary.  I am more than happy to avoid another spinal tap  :)   Home by mid-afternoon!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1:30 update:  Ah, waiting at Dalton ....  To quote Joseph, "I was counting on the fact that after dropping you off  2 hours ago, nothing would have happened".  Well, technically, the basics have happened; my port is accessed, blood was drawn, and my blood labs are back and it's only been 3 hours ....  Big BIG news however .... My platelets are in at 53 (Megan wins the pool!) but Dr. Perkins does not want to admit me for the high-dose methotrexate until my platelets are at 75.  So - surprisingly - my hospital admission has been delayed a week.  I don't need to return to Dalton for (wait for it folks, this is MORE BIG news) an ENTIRE WEEK!  Found time at home.  I am at a bit of a loss - but happy!

As for today, we are STILL waiting for a call from the infusion room, then my pre-meds, then wait for the pre-meds to kick in, then hope that the Rituxan is waiting and at hand, then 2 hours of Rituxan.  Joe has foraged an Au Bon Pain caprese sandwich for me and is now off on a walk....  I remain all ears waiting for my name to be called!  Forget DMV folks, these waits are epic.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Home at 5:55.  What was I thinking writing "Home by mid-afternoon!"  That's just crazy-talk, Christine.

No comments: