Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Successful Lobbying for a Decent Sleep ...

Tuesday - October 9, 2012

... despite defending against the effects of kidney-damaging high-dose methotrexate.  Q:  How do you protect precious kidneys against the potential "vicious cycle" of mega-doses of kidney-tartgeting chemotherapy?  A:  You run continuous high-volume infusions of protective liquids, drink copious amounts of water, and make frequent trips to the bathroom.  Despite the disruption of regular (but quick) bathroom visits, I enjoyed a decent night's sleep thanks to an early evening, firm but friendly sleep-optimization conversation with my familiar night RN and clear but smiling body language of covering my eyes with my arm and remaining silent when my care partner tried (repeatedly) to chat me up during vitals in the wee hours. Not a great sleep, but decent.  I'll take it  :)

We just had our morning bedside shift-change RN meeting and all 5 women were familiar faces (2 are trainees but I even know these women from previous roles).  One benefit of 8 hospitalizations on the same floor is that you really get to know all of the players.  The physicians change somewhat.  The residents and interns rotate out to go to a different department or clinic and the attendings take weekly turns monitoring the floor.  I have the greatest continuity among the fellows who like the RNs and Care Partners provide a comforting degree of familiarity and connection. 

No comments: