Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Sunshine Nurtures the Soul


Tuesday - June 26, 2012

Home away from home
The logistics of managing hospital admissions must be daunting.  In fact, the entirety of hospital administration must be a stimulating and ever-changing challenge.  What is the solution when too many patients need access to the few hospital floors authorized to deliver chemo?  How can you respond when unexpected admissions push these floors beyond capacity?  Which patients are most likely to benefit from becoming familiar with the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit?   Yesterday I learned that the Oncology floor was pretty well full-up and braced myself for a return to Bone Marrow.  Somehow, I REALLY wanted to get back to Oncology.  It wasn't that I didn't LOVE the staff on Bone Marrow or that my treatment or food was substantially different.  I think the key issue for me is - first and foremost - sunlight.  The kids and my sisters would certainly not be surprised by the importance of sunlight in my world view and general demeanor.  Sally in particular loves to joke that Joe and I feel that our sunlight-filled new home is STILL not sunny enough so we are planning renovations (new skylights, new wall of windows in the master bedroom, vaulted ceilings, tubular skylights in closets and bathrooms, etc.) just as we did in Arlington to flood our sweet little rambler with SUN!  LIGHT!  LIFE!

Sunshine and blue skies!
So when I phoned into Oncology this morning to find out where and when to report for cycle #3 of chemo, I learned from the floor secretary that only one single bed was available for five planned admissions today.  I teased her that I was willing to bribe staff with cookies and treats to gain admission to the floor, reminded her that my sister Carolyn has become FAMOUS at VCU for having Tropical Smoothies delivered to my bedside (a situation that could certainly be duplicated for hospital staff), and then .... honestly let her know that I was happy to go back to Bone Marrow.  Since I was familiar with the food restrictions and the smaller spaces of the Bone Marrow rooms, I was more than willing to be bumped from Oncology.  In addition, since I may indeed end up on Bone Marrow for a transplant in the fall, it made sense that I should go.  Imagine my surprise when Antonette called back and said that I was returning to Oncology!  Imagine my happiness to have a room with a view of a wide-open sky!  An open blue sky framed by a 5 foot wide window is far superior to a view of a brick building framed by a 2 foot wide window.  I am SO happy!  Sunlight fills the window frame and nurtures my spirits.  Here on Oncology, I was welcomed by familiar nurses, care partners, and secretaries.  It feels like an old-fashioned reunion!

Oh, and just because Megan and Jonathan KNOW that I love the nerdy numerology aspects of life, I must note that I am now in room 132 (12 x 11 = 132) which is perhaps not as exciting as my previous room 144 (12 squared).  Nonetheless, multiples of 12 are always a wee bit invigorating, yes?

No comments: