Wednesday, June 27, 2012

"Happiness is itself a kind of gratitude."

Wednesday - June 27, 2012

16 hours into my 24 hour methatrexate infusion, Mr. Cow and I are enjoying a sunny window, Wimbledon, Jonathan's book of NYT crosswords (for pencil) AND the Los Angeles Times crosswords puzzle which I can access online.  My NYT subscription together with Words With Friends and other interactive apps are currently blocked by the VCU server but, no worries, Carolyn is planning on sorting that out soon when she meets with the head of IT   :)    Anyway, my weary, sleep-deprived body has benefited from these positives - as well as many others - in my first day of admission here on Oncology!
Do NOT forget!
  • Our happy Arlington home now has a very clean ratified contract!  The only possible glitch might be financing approval.  It is a bittersweet milestone to relinquish this special, cheery home where we grew up together as a family.  Joe and I are embracing our empty-nest status and having fun planning the renovations to our Williamsburg retirement home which we plan to move in to in ... 2014?  2015?  December?  Who knows!
  • Joseph is about to pull the trigger on our plan to consolidate down to one car.  Farewell to our trusty Passat TDI wagon.  Welcome to a new MANUAL Jetta wagon!  With Jonathan taking charge of our manual Ford, we couldn't resist the fun of keeping a standard in the garage AND we love the fact that we could find it in a spiffy wagon.  Thanks VW.  
  • I found 3 thought-lost items before I left for the hospital:  one precious Avon CT Little Silver Shop earring, one sweater, and one watch!
  • Joseph treated me to a delicious fresh lunch salad - great mozzarella!
  • Jonathan and Carolyn treated me to a delicious gourmet Italian salad dinner - great mozzarella! great tapenade!  great tablecloth!
  • Carolyn recreated my traditional beverage of choice, bringing in some juicy lemons for my hospital water  :)
  • I FINALLY saw the oft-discussed, official "spitter" sign from atop the VCU garage (Carolyn flipped the sign around in the deep, dark, dead of night so I could see it from my room!).
  • I treated myself to another long talk with my beloved mother-in-law.  Just hearing Maureen's sweet voice on the phone is a tonic.  How I wish that Joe and I could make it north to this weekend's annual family reunion at Maureen's home!  However, a six hour drive (each way) and concerns about neutropenia have nixed this trip. Chatting with Maureen eased my conflicted mind.  We just can't make this trip.  Our plan is to host Maureen down here in Williamsburg as soon as possible.  Can't wait to make this plan a REALITY! 
  • Megan and I skyped this morning despite my lack of microphone and camera on this computer.  She talked, her boyfriend Chris watched soccer (so funny hearing it in the background - "Hao qiu!"), and I typed!  It all worked out  :)
  • The Oncology staff remains attentive, accessible, and good-humored!  I love the fact that so many faces are familiar and that our rhythms are understood and comfortable.
  • I was persuasive in delaying my steroid injection from 2 to 6 a.m.  Given the fact that I was already wide awake at 2 a.m., a steroids injection at that point would have completely torpedoed the little sleep I was hoping to grab before sunrise.
  • Cloth napkins and tablecloths from home!
  • During the darkness of early morning, my friend Kim and I were able to message about her evacuation from her Colorado Springs home.  The Conleys have also evacuated from the Air Force Academy.  What great relief to know that everyone is safe but how devastating to think about the many people who have lost their homes in Colorado.
Sleep proved highly elusive again last night.  Altogether I grabbed about 4 hours in 3 separate naps.  Despite this fatigue and my tingling neuropathy in my fingers, I am extremely appreciative that the effects of the chemo are negligible.  No nausea.  No vomiting.  I am one lucky girl!

And for a bit of additional perspective (in addition to the dire situation in Colorado Springs), down the road in Portsmouth my soon-to-be 78-year-old mother is currently undergoing a 7 hour surgery for heart valve replacement and triple bypass.  Sally and Rachel are at the hospital - waiting.  As Sally posted earlier this morning:  4 sisters and 2 hospitals.  It's been a hell of a summer.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Fond memories of Rock Spring
Joseph just brought me the most amazing piece of mail!  I am overwhelmed and tearful, thinking back on my wonderful Rock Spring decade and the deep personal connections forged with families as we worked together to create a vibrant and responsive learning space for young children.  Thank you to Meredith and Kelly for a true gift.

No comments: