Thursday, June 7, 2012

Brilliant Blue Skies and Secret Signs...

Thursday - June 7, 2012

... are brightening a sleepy morning!  Another decent (for the hospital) sleep and no strong chemo side effects but somehow I can't quite get going!  Carolyn gave me a merry start to the day here in my room where we once again admired her secret messages posted yesterday across the street.  She mounted 2 drawings behind pillars in the corridors linking two VCU buildings.

Can you spot the red flower and the smiley face?  How long might they stay on the windows, undetected in one space while bringing smiles to this space?


Carolyn is now back at the nearby Hospitality House where she has actually found success in carrying on with her work via internet and telephone.  Having Carolyn here is such a tremendous boost and help.  We cannot believe how fortunate we are to have the Alzamoras really turn their entire summer upside down to be with us.  Dan and Carolyn drove the kids cross country to Atlanta and now Carolyn is here and Dan is holding down the fort in Denver.  My ever-present guilt is tempered (somewhat) in knowing that Carolyn has been able to carry on with work to a certain degree.  Now if only I could beat her in backgammon!

My hair continued to fill a hesitant and gentle brush this morning.  Pulled into a ponytail, I am preserving as much as I can but the time is coming!  Glad I brought at least one hat to the hospital and still crossing my fingers that when I FINALLY get to return for a classroom visit, I might have a ponytail :)

One more note on hospital living.  On my three visits so far to the hospital, almost ALL of medical staff has commented EVERY DAY on the fact that I am wearing street clothes.  My thought is:  why the hell not?  I may be in the hospital but that doesn't mean that I need to be in pajamas and slippers.  Even with my foley catheter and JP drain from the lymph node / bladder nick surgery, I was wearing dresses and skirts that did not impede my abdomen and my bags.  Part of this entire 2012 journey - from December's headache onset to current lymphoma treatment - has been attitude. In my mind, pajama-wearing all day would impact my attitude and I would feel more ill.  Yes, I am driven and type A and need to find a way to engage my mind in a project and activities.  Perhaps, wearing street clothes is a project!

The big news for the afternoon is Jonathan's impending arrival.  He is taking his long weekends at home rather than staying in Blacksburg!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A sleepy morning has morphed into a generally sleepy day.  Goal for this evening:  try to ignore playoff basketball and get to bed earlier....

Happily, Jonathan, Joe, and Carolyn were ALL here this afternoon!  Activities included, watching a Mets matinee win, backgammon, cards, and watching Jonathan trying to deal with a bad burrito lunch by doing push-ups.

This morning the doctors said I would be able to go home Friday morning.  However when reviewing tomorrow's medication plan with the night RN, we saw that I have a 21 hour infusion beginning at 4 pm tomorrow afternoon.  Now, I'm looking at a late Saturday afternoon discharge.  Ah well, I had just spoken with my wonderful substitute about coming in on Friday to help with pack-up but that is not in the cards.  Flexibility!  It's a good thing  :)  And now I know to review the detail with the nurses  :)

No comments: