Sunday, August 12, 2012

Boxing Up and Sorting Out

Sunday - August 12, 2012

Some shelves are staying intact  :)
This weekend's mild energy level has allowed me to continue to get organized and to feel somewhat productive in prepping for my anticipated BMT-induced sabbatical from home-living.  Joe has pointed out that if we are indeed still moving to San Francisco in mid-June (and this option remains highly tentative) then my schedule, location, and health may not provide much opportunity to help him get ready for the move after I begin the bone marrow transplant process in mid-October(?).  When that treatment begins, I will be living in the hospital, then in Richmond, and then (probably) on a futon in a short-term rental in New Kent County somewhere around exit 214 -- closer than Richmond to Joe's work and within 30 minutes of my mandated tether to VCU.  Perhaps I will make it back into our Williamsburg house by early spring but even then who knows what my energy level will be like....  AND, with my complete lack of immunity brought on by the BMT, I will still be prohibited from any cleaning / interaction with dust.  No cooking, laundry, cleaning etc.  In fact, Carolyn has researched bio-cleaning / crime-scene services to prep the two short-term rentals and our Williamsburg house before I move my immune-compromised self into each space.  Deep cleaning from experts will help me stay clear of infections.  As the BMT lead physician explained, I will be like the "girl in a bubble" until I am able to receive my "baby shots" (MMR, polio, etc.) next summer.

So, NOW is the time for me to brave the dust and to sort through the accumulation of three years of full, stimulating, and busy Williamsburg living!  Time to tackle the graduate school materials and all of my classroom resources.  Time to weed out the children's possessions and ready them for shipment to their new independent locales.  Time to organize, pare down, and sort out.  As a bonus, this focus is keeping my mind happily occupied with cheery memories of people, accomplishments, and challenges and giving me a project!  ... And, of course, I can work alongside the quiet company of Joe and Jonathan as we hang out and relax on a grey, steamy Virginia weekend.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And I did indeed manage to get much organizing done!  Bundles of recycling into the blue bin.  Resource materials boxed and readied for future use.  Children books inventoried and stored away.

However the highlight of this happy Sunday was getting out of the house for brunch with Gina, Savannah, and Jonathan!  "Nearly normal" feels terrific!

No comments: