Monday, July 2, 2012

Swishing and Spitting and Rinsing Like Mad

Monday - July 2, 2012


Mouth sores have prevented a repeat of last night's sleep-bonanza.  I am downstairs in the living room at a very early 1 a.m.!   Thank goodness for (the truly vile) Lidocaine.  Yes, it may taste like chalk but it numbs my mouth up substantially and returns me to some function.  After using it, I am able to swallow without flinching (too much).

Here in chemo cycle #3, the mouth sores exactly parallel the timing and severity that I experienced in cycle #1, my last "even" Hyper-CVAD treatment.  I have constructed a grid documenting the sequence of my response to chemo and derive some comfort in being able to track the arc of my body's physical reaction to treatment.   If I continue to follow this same predictable pattern then I should be over the worst of the mouth sores by Wednesday afternoon.  In the  meantime, I'll soothe the pain with frozen yogurt, ice cream, popsicles, and lots and lots of water!

Again, if numb fingers, fatigue, and mouth sores are the extent of my chemotherapy side effects then I have drawn a very lucky hand.  For that great good fortune, I am enormously appreciative!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Having captured 3 more hours of precious sleep down here on the couch, it's time to head to Richmond for my Neulasta shot!  

Neulasta (pegfilgrastim) is a colony stimulating factor. It is a man-made form of a protein (amino acid) that stimulates the bone marrow and promotes the growth of white blood cells called neutrophils in your body. White blood cells help your body fight against infection.  Neulasta is used to prevent neutropenia, a lack of certain white blood cells caused by receiving chemotherapy. 
One 6 mg Neulasta injection will cost between $3,000 to $7000, depending on the supplier. 


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Back and forth to Dalton in 3.5 hours!  My bloodwork was strong enough to avoid any platelet infusions or saline - yay!  We stopped on the way home for a chocolate milkshake to ease my aching mouth.  I look like I have had collagen injections; my lips / mouth are so swollen and distorted from these sores!  Chemo at work, baby!  I can see it!  I can feel it!  The meds are doing the job on healthy cells, here's hoping they are clobbering the cancer cells!

No comments: