Sunday, July 8, 2012

Fighting a Fever

Sunday - July 8, 2012

I am here at Sentara Williamsburg - not VCU because VCU was so full they did not have a bed for me!  The thought of heading up to a busy inner city Emergency Room without the promise of a hospital bed was a situation we were determined to avoid.  During my last neutropenic fever, one of my oncologists had given me a survival guide to ER germs and definitely heightened my awareness / made me extremely nervous.  I was tremendously relieved when the oncologist on call agreed that checking into Sentara seemed the best option.


Despite another blood transfusion, antibiotics, and Tylenol, I have not been able to shake this fever overnight.  My fever went well above the 100.4 threshold to 101.9 overnight!  Yikes!  My neutrophils are almost nonexistent - meaning that I am at high risk for infection.  So it looks like I will be here at the local hospital again tonight.  Sentara's Emergency Room was not fast (I was admitted to my room 7 hours after arrival) but everyone was pleasant and the hospitalist and the oncologist on call were helpful and clear about the plan of attack to stave off infection -- 2 different antibiotics so far.  They were also in contact with my VCU oncologist on call and were happy to see / copy my 1.5 inch thick stack of medical papers.  I think I have outgrown my binder clip system; time to organize with sheet protectors?  Sounds like a project!


I was able to get a good 5 hours sleep before finally leaving bed and getting dressed before dawn.  My night nurse was terrific, barely waking me as she took vitals every 15 minutes - pretty impressive.  Today, I will happily distract myself with Wimbledon and try to focus on the positives.  I am very happy to be closer to home here at Sentara rather than up in Richmond at VCU.  With neutropenic fevers, the treatment protocol is standardized and I don't believe that anything would be different if I had been admitted to my regular hospital.  Perhaps it is very good luck that VCU had no rooms in oncology, bone marrow transplant unit, or even internal medicine!

No comments: