Friday, July 27, 2012

Kids on the Move! PLUS A Feast!

Friday - July 27, 2012



Was last night my most restful in the hospital?  In my fog of fatigue, I think back on my 23 days in the hospital and can't recall another night where I didn't bail sometime in the dark.  Instead, I maintained an eyes-closed, conversation-lite stance during all of my evening events and ended up napping throughout the night, finally arising at dawn.  Sounds like a successful evening to me!  I'll take it!

Nonetheless, I am seeing and feeling the effects of the dexamethasone (bloated face) and some reactions from four days of cyclophosphamide infusions (flushed / histimine reaction in the face and upper body as well as edema in my lower legs).  This odd round, I have better controlled the edema through more focused exercise on a stationery bike that I am currently hoarding in room 132!  While no one has yet asked for it back, I am not too sure that I am willing to share!

Jonathan and Megan are both in transit today. Jonathan has finished his month of work as an Orientation Leader at Virginia Tech's Freshman Orientation and is headed north to D.C. for his 6th (?) year of volunteering as a scoreboard keeper at the Citi Open (formerly LeggMason) ATP Tennis Tournament.   We will see him on his way back to VT in 10 days!  Megan should just now be stepping into a shuttle at Dulles, on her last leg finishing up a 36 hour travel ordeal from Beijing to VCU!  I hope to be hugging her in about 3 hours!

Sally is coming today - bearing delicious Sally-cooking, a fluffy towel for my weary traveler, a CD of early Carter family photos, good humor, and company!  It is going to be a lovely, epic day!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++




What a lovely, happy day!  Megan arrived earlier than expected at 9:30 and gave me the sweetest, warmest, longest hug ever!  She looks amazing after her travel ordeal and has had enough energy to just have crashed for a half-hour nap at 4:45.  Sally came about an hour later hauling a handtruck of FRESH food!









We feasted on veggies, cheese, hummus, and pasta (among other amazing delights) while sharing conversation, anecdotes, and advise about solving all types of world and relationship quandaries.  What a trio!

1 comment:

Kim said...

Sneaky, sneaky getting the bike in there. Ride your way to health...I like it!