Sunday, July 29, 2012

Crashing Out and Healing Up

Sunday - July 29, 2012

Often when I return from the hospital, I simply ... crash.  I drop on the couch, the dogs burrow in (while the cat haunts and whines for food), and unpacking and laundry goes waiting... and waiting ... and waiting....  It simply is not a priority.  Eating and cooking are also low priorities.  I am not hungry.  I am just SO happy to be home, comfortable and cuddling, that everything besides "hunkering down" goes by the wayside.  Yesterday, Megan and Joe made this recharging and centering even more rejuvenating.  All of a sudden, the day disappeared in a rush of dramatic rain and storm - wonderful!

My physical fatigue is definitely on the horizon.  When I head up the stairs, I feel my muscles debating me (must we? let's go slow or double step instead) and my heart rate also has a tendency to elevate - quickly!  I am on major warning about moving slowly and avoiding lightheadedness.  The great benefit of going through this chemo round a second time is that my expectations and precautions are clear.  I am more aware.  I am less worried as symptoms arise.  It all feels much more procedural.

Movement is key.  Megan and I shared a (slow) long walk with the hounds in the late afternoon.  Prior to my lymphoma symptoms, these pups were SO accustomed to frequent, long walks - down by the river, around the neighborhood, early morning must-dos, and post-midnight magical saunters.  They are very excited to get out with me on the other (human) end of the leash.

Great news regarding sleep! Six plus hours of rest!  No steroid effect yet  :)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A huge wrench in my already modest plans;  I just threw out my lower back and am pretty well out for the count.  The irony!  Oh, how I love(d) my Arlington freezer-on-the-bottom appliance and have fussed for years about the inconvenience of living in rental homes where I open the fridge -- and see NOTHING!  I open the fridge but my head remains in front of a closed freezer door and I am required to bend over and dig out food from the fridge at a level below the shoulders.  This design is an ossified holdover from a previous technological necessity.  Why does this relic prevail?  How is it still being sold?  What's the point?  Anyway, this most-vilified appliance finally got its due, revenge for my mocking and rants over the years.  When I bent down to retrieve yogurt from the lower shelf of the fridge (just above FLOOR level of course), my back ... went .... out.   I have been forced to cancel my brunch with Sally and mom and am trying to stabilize my back and reduce the spasms. Drat you, fridge.  At some point I will be back in my own home and will have a fridge that makes sense!

Unexpected.


No comments: