Tuesday, December 25, 2012

A Christmas Wish Come True

Tuesday - December 25, 2012

A happy Christmas at home with Joe, Megan, and Jonathan!  Yes, we indulged our long traditions of fake-out wrappings (including Chinese dictionaries), slow unwrapping (perfected by Joe), jerseys-jewelry-and-J.Crew, board games, and cozy meals but this year my dearest Christmas treat was simply to be hereNot in a Bone Marrow Transplant Unit in Richmond and not in a Bone Marrow Transplant Unit in Baltimore.  (NOTE:  Jonathan gifted the hounds with a bone marrow treat! Ha ha!) Not in an ICU or ER undergoing treatment for neutropenia.  Not facing imminent mortality due to partial response or no response to chemotherapy.  To be here with my husband and my children is my Christmas wish come true.  Laughing about our shared memories from Christmas past, enjoying our Christmas present, and - perhaps just a bit - considering Christmas future (next year in Yellowstone with Carolyn et al?). 

My Christmas wish has been building slowly over the last few months as I steadily creep back from the brink ... regaining health, regathering strength, reevaluating assumptions, reviving plans, and revisiting priorities and relationships.  Every Christmas, I am reminded of the tremendous gift of my fabulous friends and incredible family - children, spouse, father, sisters, nieces, nephews, in-laws, loved ones all....  This year, after being ambushed by cancer, my appreciation and thanks are profound.  My prayers have been answered; it's Christmas Day 2012 and I am here

No comments: