Thursday, June 6, 2013

And So Our Balance Begins to Shift....

Thursday - June 6, 2013

... to California!

Who would have thought a week ago that a California trip was in the picture?  Well, twice in recent weeks when I reached the critical "lesson demo" / 3rd interview of an application cycle, my Virginia location stopped everything in its tracks.  So on Friday when I reached this same stage in another interview process with a very well-established child-centered independent school, I said "when can we get together next week?"  Joe worked some magic, booked some red eyes, and out I went to meet everyone in person and to present a lesson.  With bi-coastal master fashion advice from Sharon and Betsy, I was ready to go!  I structured my lesson around my greatest asset - a read aloud to children in a classroom setting.  New-to-me "Levi Strauss Gets A Bright Idea" was a terrific platform to discuss tall tales.... I almost zone out when I lead these interactive read aloud:  the adults evaporate and it's just me and the children.  A beautiful experience with laughter and, yes, instructional content.   That session was worth the trip in and of itself.  The staff provided an engaging introduction to the school, everyone was extremely warm and knowledgeable, the curriculum fit was very good, and the professional collaboration and comfort of the school was palpable. I can envision making a strong contribution in this community and being very very happy here.

But as it turned out, I was also called in for another round of interviews for a school that is about to launch in the city.  Keens and khakis for this meeting (and my "nun's sweater" as termed by Betsy) ....  It was a completely laid back, long, and thought-provoking conversation. The internet entrepreneur who is backing this fabulously exciting idea is a new dad, passionate about child-directed learning and committed to forging a new path in education.  I am completely and utterly intrigued and absolutely energized. My mind is racing.... 

AND of course, Davis is only 90 minutes away from the North Bay so off I went to see Megan!  We hit our favorite restaurants, settled down for a viewing of the GoT Red Wedding, and did some shopping for an upcoming semi-formal occasion.  24 hours of mother-daughter time and a chance to finally meet so many of the friends who have shepherded Megan through this difficult past year.

Last but not least - our VIEW!  Our Sausalito nest!  UNBELIEVABLE!  Joe and I are going to be very content :)  I confess that the flat was probably even better than Joe's description and photos hinted.  The air, the breeze, the light - all amazing!  The drive up?  Well, we will certainly go through a few clutches!

No comments: