Monday, June 24, 2013

Celebrating a Full Deck

Monday - June 24, 2013

Somehow events came together in the chaos of pack-out and move to create a lull - a relaxing oasis with family that happened to coincide with my birthday and (as it happened) a super moon.  Five days away from our half-inhabited house and the mountains of boxes.  A very, very soothing interlude ... and a fabulous juxtaposition with last year's mid-chemo commemoration of my 51st birthday when I was hairless, incredibly debilitated, and letting the chemo do its magic.  

This year's birthday marked a "full deck" at 52, an opportunity to breathe and celebrate renewed health and precious connections.  Time with Megan who was back east for a wedding. Time with Jonathan who came north for the annual Ammirati reunion.  Time with my cousin who has been a strong internet presence and virtual support during this long lymphoma challenge.  Time with family who gathered once more with Joe's mom to exchange updates and share memories.  The green and the coolness of the Delaware River Valley was restorative; a welcome respite from transition hiccups and uncertainty.

Relief in the form of an answering machine message upon our return to Williamsburg.  UCSF finally called me back on Friday (my birthday!).  Apparently a phone call from my VCU oncologist kicked up some response or it is simply a lovely coincidence.  I hope to find a moment of calm in today's final iteration of "pack-out and load" to call back and secure an appointment.  Now that is a birthday present that it truly an answer to prayers  :) 

*******************************************

Another cheery birthday coincidence!  FINALLY, on Friday Virginia cashed my check for a revised Teaching License with ESL Endorsement.  Another gnawing to-do is getting closer to resolution  :)

1 comment:

JC said...

BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRISTINE. KEEP THE PICTURES COMING. I LOVE THEM. I LOVE THE PICTURE OF YOU AND THE HOUNDS. IT REALLY LOOKS LIKE PARADISE. YOU LOOK GREAT CHRISTINE. I AM STALKING YOU GIRL SO NEED PICTURES WITH EVERY BLOG.