Friday, June 14, 2013

A Derecho and A Decision


Friday - June 14, 2013

A wall of wind and horizontal rain slammed into our relatively flimsy military-issue house yesterday afternoon shaking the walls, rattling the windows, bending the surrounding loblolly pines to an abrupt and disturbing angle, and cutting off the power with a certain sense of finality.  Joe came home and pronounced that he thought it was going to take a while to get back on line.  While he was indeed right, we are now back enjoying electricity a mere 29 hours after the mini-derecho (?) rather than the 3 day outage after Aug. 2011's Hurricane Irene.  We'll take it.  After all, we need to finish up our preparations for pack out.  A day without ready access to communications, electronics, NPR, and general diversions  :)  Just a quiet venue for prepping for our transition, for mulling over decisions and choices, for feeling fortunate and healthy....  Somehow I felt suspended in time.

GOOD news!  I finally got a return call from UCSF Cancer Center today.  Yesterday, I called in the "big guns" and persuaded my VCU oncologist's RN to phone the UCSF New Patient Coordinator phone line to try to dislodge some sort of response to my many unanswered voice mails.  I called again this morning, left another message, noted that I needed to schedule scans for mid-August, and pleaded for any update on how I could get into their system.  This 1-2 punch effected a result: my records have been forwarded to an oncologist and I should get a call next week with next steps.  

TECH news!  We used our electricity disconnect as an excuse / final straw to get a smartphone.  In considering our upcoming transcontinental drive (with hounds!), the smartphone decision seemed like a wise option.  How ironic that given the wretched cell coverage here on base - exacerbated by the widespread power outage that seems to have impacted our closest cell tower - we STILL couldn't hook up to the internet even with our new iPhone. We ended up lurking outside amid mosquitoes and with overexcited hounds to check email this evening.

BEST news of the day:  After MUCH debate and reflection, I am happy to have accepted an offer to teach second grade at San Domenico School in San Anselmo!  A warm and welcoming staff, a child centered curriculum, and a beautiful premises in a spectacular setting!  I am overwhelmed with appreciation and a sense of good fortune.  San Domenico is a fabulous fit for me and I am sure that I can contribute to their wonderful team.  Yes, I am still drawn to the vision of the new school in the city but the timing and the location are simply not right.  Two amazing choices.  Two remarkable programs.  Choice is always valued although it can create angst.  Life is good.  San Domenico should be a fabulous professional home for me  :)  Joe and I are VERY happy.

1 comment:

JC said...

San Domenico School is lucky to have you.Despite what you say the wind rattling, the power down etc, etc, you make it all sound great. I know it can be frustrating with no connections at all but it does some flavor to the mundane life we lead sometime. I remember when the power shut down in NY we can still remember specially Kyle and Rhys can- the fun they had by candlelight and the icecreams and all the goodies they were gulping down. I am so excited for you Christine - you are now back to what you always loved doing - teaching the kids Those kids are lucky to have you too. Way to go.. Congrats on your new job and an exciting way to start yet another chapter in you life. I will be following your blogs girl and will continue to keep you in my prayers.