Saturday, May 19, 2012

A Sally Saturday :-)

 Saturday - May 19, 2012

A pretty good night - just a few interruptions for blood tests and vitals.  Happily, my infusion pump had no "air bubble" alarms as it had all day.

All dressed and settled in for the day.  Dr. Sawyer, the very young intern (27?) supervising me, was in at 6:55 and lo and behold, we are practically wearing the same outfit.  Is that an embarrassing faux pas in the hospital as it is at a cocktail party?  No matter.  We carried on with a review of the day's plan, some listening to my chest, and a discussion of why people have different rates of flushing the methotrexate (metabolism and fluid pooling).  She reminds me of both Jo Feingold (from grad school) and Megan's friend Anna Ratner as I remember her from their middle school years.  Soft spoken, somewhat awkward, and socially hesitant.  I keep thinking - oh my goodness, these interns are SO young!  And guess what?  They are  :)

Best news!  My right arm and shoulder are MUCH more comfortable with better range of motion.  40 hours after being invaded by the implantation of the port, my body has adjusted significantly.  Another miracle of nature.  Truly.

Other notes:
  • Photo shoot of Mr. Cow is ready to put on Facebook.
  • I am so grateful for my hospital table standing desk.
  • Yellow day lilies are beautiful in the morning sunshine and remind me of dad.
  • I am thrilled to have a legit excuse for not wearing a bra.
========================================================================

Sally is here! AND with a bagful of fun including the backgammon set she had gifted to Dad oh-so-many years ago (I cried).

========================================================================

Unappetizing.
Had a terrific visit with Sally!  Backgammon, critiquing hospital  food, sisterly foraging downstairs for real food, and much talking about -- everything.  Oh, of course, we also conferenced with Megan as we prepped for my imminent hair loss by shopping for hats and caps (who knew we could have so much fun in a mere 28 pages of photo viewing?). 

Oh, and congrats to Sally for managing the maze of the hospital multiple times! And thanks to her for bringing uneaten food home to her background raccoons.

Joseph came just as Sally was leaving.  I had some salads as he shared his day and then backgammon!  It is hard to think of being away from home for at least another 2 nights but Joe brings a little home to me so I can manage!



All in all a fine day.  I am in good spirits and feeling.... healthy.   I am excited that I was able to take off my eye patch for about a half hour!  Happily, I had the perfect place to store my eye patch - a bag hand cut, sewn, and braided for me by one of my students.  I wrote her parents tonight:  "The bag is very precious to me because it gave me bright red hope in a dark time and is a tangible symbol in someone's belief that I will ultimately be healthy."
Perhaps tomorrow these steroids will really take effect and I will be able to see even better!



Angela is my night nurse for a 2nd night and she has just started the Cytarabine IV chemo drip which will go a little more than 2 hours.  She also administered another vision-restoring steroid.  The anti-nausea drugs are doing their jobs and my pH level and vitals are normal!  I feel normal aside from all these wounds, bandages, and tubes!

No comments: