Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Back in my Comfort Zone

Tuesday - May 22, 2012

A great night sleep  - own bed (after 3 weeks on the couch or in the hospital), snoozing husband, slumbering hounds....  Feeling like I am RESTED!  No large discomforts.  My port site is still healing and sore.  I am very protective of it. 

Soon, Joe and I will hit the road to go ...  back to VCU!  24 hours after chemo, a neulasta shot is administered to boost white cells and reduce my chances of infection.  Then a quiet day of settling back into the house.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Well, that "rested" feeling did not last.  I was dragging by the time we hit the Dalton Oncology Clinic at VCU.  How many times have we visited Dalton?  So many that I believe we have exhausted the ample magazine supplies!  Everyone is extremely pleasant and helpful and even when the clinic is slammed with patients (like today), you remain confident that you will be seen and cared for with attention and compassion.  Karen, an RN who works with both my oncologist and my surgical oncologist, was walking through the waiting area and stopped to check in with me.  When I told her that I have begun to develop some mouth sores, she immediately pulled me into an exam room to check me out and then got me a scrip for a rinse.  And I thought we only traveled to Richmond for a shot!

This afternoon I gave into fatigue and slept the afternoon away on the couch - Sadie burrowed into my armpit and Baxter curled up between my knees.  This Italian Greyhound love is sure to boost the healing  :)


No comments: