Saturday, April 20, 2013

Twenty Hours in Blacksburg!

Saturday - April 20, 2013

Jonathan kept a tight hold on me all night  - so sweet :)
So ... all in all I think I kept my composure as well as could be expected.  Of course, some tears but no torrents.  It is simply devastating to hear family members speak of their losses and how much of their lives have been missed by those loved ones snatched by cancer.  The pain is palpable and deep.  Voids.  Chasms.  Loss, loss, loss.  My heart was full thinking of Mary, Elizabeth, Mark, JeeWon, Michael, Gina, Paula, and all of their circles of family and friends that are praying and aching and missing and yearning ....

Jonathan steadied me both figuratively and literally with a strong arm and firm hugs.  We were part of a huge Relay for Life crowd on the Virginia Tech Drillfield despite a 3 hour delay necessitated by torrential rain. Epic mud pits, treacherous footing, and biting cold added to the atmosphere of resolve and witness.  The testimonials and photo memorials were absorbed in total rapt silence.   The laps were relayed with comradery and community.  An amazing event.

Jonathan's performance with the Low Techs launched just before midnight, reinvigorating the shivering crowd.  Let's just say that he emerged wet, muddy, and in his typical Low Tech skivvies but smiling and happy.  When I fell asleep about an hour later, my feet were still frozen; he must have felt glacially cold all over!

After spazzing out and falling on my butt out of the bunk bed (classic move, Christine), a great Gilly's breakfast, and a lightning stop in Bedford to see the Maxwells and pick up another gorgeous piece of MTMaxwell furniture, I have arrived home committed to nursing my cold and resting up.  As Joseph says, I may have overdone it a bit this week and I am shot.  My take?  I'd totally do it again.  Road trip north to see friends and Great Big Sea?  Check.  Road trip west to see Jonathan, meet more of his great group of friends, and participate in Relay for Life?  Check. It's been a fabulous few days :)  Now, back to bed ....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful.. beautiful ..What a beautiful picture. Just love it -handsome Jonathan and the radiant mom

Unknown said...

NOTHING is better than the healing and calming power of loving and caring touch!