Friday, April 19, 2013

Can I Maintain Composure? Relay for Life at Virginia Tech

Friday - April 19, 2013

... Mark ... Elizabeth ... JeeWon ... Mary ... Michael ... Gina ... Paula ....
This morning, I am back on the road headed southwest to join Jonathan for Virginia Tech's Relay for Life: 
"At Virginia Tech, our Relay is the largest collegiate event in the nation and has been since 2009. We are setting milestones and will continue to be leaders in this movement until we find a cure." 

Cancer robs so many families of a carefree present as well as the promise of a future, of advanced age, of retirement.  Cancer is a cheat and a horror.  It can steal all that a person is and all that a person hopes to be.  It mugs us and thieves our peace of mind.  In my own small experience, lymphoma has stalked off with my children's sense of security.  We are close.  We are VERY close.  I am simply besotted with these people who are our children.  They are marvels to me and I am so utterly proud.  I simply cannot imagine not being with Jonathan and Megan to see them fall in love, to parent, to come fully into their own beings.  Will we ever again assume that next year is a guarantee?  We did before.  Not anymore.  Cancer has ambushed us and stolen away with that sense of surety.  Maybe calm and peace will eventually displace our current anxiety and disquiet.  But not yet.  Not for a while.

So, we fight back.  In a micro view, I listen to my doctors, research and THINK, remain attuned to my body, and fight like hell whenever the battle is re-engaged.  In a macro view, we talk and advocate and raise money to fund research.  Megan ran and raised almost $1400.  Now Jonathan and I walk to fundraise.  Together.

Will I be able to remain composed as I walk alongside our beautiful boy?  Of course he's all grown up, so capable, so engaged, and yet so completely vulnerable to this wretched lymphoma that is holding our family hostage and invading the lives of so many other families.  How can I not tear up as I see his pain and worry?

No comments: