Saturday, March 9, 2013

The Limits of Memory

Saturday - March 9, 2013

Megan, the hounds, and I are holding down the fort while Jonathan is away on a spring break cruise to the Bahamas and Joe is away on business travel.  With Joe once more away on one of his rare trips, I am reflecting on his other trips during my illness and trying to remember how I filled those days.  Carolyn was here for two of those weeks including last May when my long-lasting medical mystery was finally determined to be lymphoma.  But many of the specifics of these last months are so foggy, amorphous, and muddled in detail.  How is it that I can remember birthdays of former students from years ago but cannot recall details from the last year?  Chemo brain, fatigue, age, self-protection, or just plain flightiness?

Today on the other hand was highly memorable for its beauty and company.  A crystal clear, blue-sky, almost-spring day that was a lovely backdrop to a mother-daughter lunch with Gina and Meredith on DoG Street, a library outing, a phenomenal dog walk along the York, and a bit of a "Homeland" marathon.  A picture-perfect and relaxing day with our beautiful girl  :)

No comments: