Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Bulking Up (the schedule)

Wednesday - March 27, 2013

I do so like being busy, involved, connected ....  After all, contributing and interacting is where I derive great meaning and contentment.  I feel most alive and happy when I am out and about doing something dynamic.  It's my "normal" and these days I am happily scrambling back into a familiar schedule.  No, it's not quite the schedule and commitment I had anticipated two years ago when finishing grad school but it's certainly not the void and isolation I had feared just 4 months ago when shackled (literally) by the constraints of stage 4 lymphoma.  At that point I was still regularly dragging my infusion pole around a hospital room with chemicals dripping into my body through the port that still very visibly protrudes beneath my skin just below my right collar bone.  At that point I anticipated an imminent allogeneic bone marrow transplant with its attendant cold statistics, prolonged hospitalizations, extended home quarantine, and reduced expectations extending into what I hoped would be a distant (but probable) future.  At that point I saw diminished prospects for a return to an elementary classroom, to work, to contribution and connection.

And yet, here I am 4 months after Dr. Ambinder advised me to "sit tight" and wait.  I am braving the sneezes and coughs of the world and building up my energy.  My schedule is happily filling out.  I am now shuttling between two elementary schools, working in math groups in the morning and with an ESLstudent in the afternoon.  I may also soon begin homebound tutoring of a fourth grader through the school system.

I am even daring to think (a bit) about the future.  Specifically, how do I search for a teaching job with this cancer gap on my resume?  Online reading suggests that a great deal of discrimination exists when it comes to hiring someone who has come through cancer treatment.  I suppose employers are concerned about job continuity and health care costs.  If I were to stay in Williamsburg, I am certain the issue would be moot given how incredibly supportive the HR team and school staffs have been.  But moving surfaces the issue.  A very visible hole in my chronology will naturally invite an inquiry.  "Medical leave" is the appropriate and legal response but does that torpedo my chances?  Ah well, I can only do what I can do.  I am revamping my resume in preparation for a Bay area job search.  Only time will tell what opportunities will arise but I am keen to work, to keep up a full schedule, a busy pace, and to find a way to contribute.

No comments: