Thursday, July 17, 2014

Off the Meds!

Thursday - July 17, 2014

Today's periodic oncology consult ushered in the latest phase in my recovery: getting off the last of my medications.  So long to my prescription strength antacid!  We'll see if the GI issues of last year have healed and determine if I can eat (and retain) food without prescription assistance.  So long to Acyclovir!  This anti-shingles medication is continuing its negative impact on my liver enzymes (still elevated today).  Rather than continuing the Acyclovir-induced liver damage, I'll probably opt to have the shingles vaccine in the next few weeks.  Shingles is a concern because I actually had a (stress-induced?) bout of shingles the summer of 1986 while working in Taiwan and prepping for our September wedding.  Our post-consult homework is to research the shingles vaccine.  UCSF has administered it to 90+ post-Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT) patients with no adverse effects.  Given the fact that my immune system is stronger than these patients, I should be able to avoid negative impacts.  We'll see ....

My oncologist continues to help me "unring the bell" about moving forward -- BMT-free and scan-free -- with hope and optimism.  My former medical team insisted that an allogeneic BMT was my best treatment option for long-term remission and cure. This plan was confirmed by a second opinion and is in accord with established and recently-affirmed national protocols.  Having absorbed and accepted this information, the lack of follow-through continues to nag at me.  I accept and welcome this gift of procedure-free living.  But I remain vigilant.  "Watchful waiting" doesn't take a holiday.  Someday I'll be able to feel a flash of warmth or clamminess and not feel that twinge of worry.  Someday ... but not quite yet.  Next steps:  shingles vaccine decision and continued bloodwork every three months to monitor markers that might signal a relapse.

All in all, that's a reason to celebrate!!  Every month that passes without relapse signals a better prognosis. By some measures I am now 2 years NED (no evidence of disease).  By my oncologist's timetable, I am now 1 year, 9 months disease-free since my last chemo treatment came to an end.  By my own measure, I am now 2 years and 2 months beyond the dysfunction and disequilibrium of unrelenting pain and double vision.  By any count, I am still in the clear and life is very VERY good :)

No comments: